Our sweet girls are 2 weeks old today! After spending their first 9 days in the NICU, we were so happy that they got to move to the Special Care Nursery on Sunday. It is a much more home-like environment, and we have our own room with space for us to stay overnight, 2 recliner chairs, and plenty of room.
However, I will say that it has been MUCH harder on me to balance time at the hospital with the girls and time at home with Will than I expected. I think that while I was on mandatory hospital arrest for my 6 weeks of monitoring and 4 days postpartum, I just knew that it was out of my control to be away from him, and somehow that made it easier. But once I got to go home, it became almost unbearable for me to leave him every day! {this may also be related to the crazy hormones of a new mom...let's be honest...} It's a tough spot to be in, because when I'm home with Will, I miss the babies and feel guilty about not being at the hospital, and when I'm with them, I miss Will and feel guilty about leaving him. {Anyone figured out a way to clone yourself yet?}
After being up at the hospital working on nursing around the clock for the first few days the girls were in Special Care, we've settled into a more manageable schedule in the past couple of days. I've been able to spend a couple of hours at home with Will in the morning, then the rest of the day up at the hospital...then back home for dinner, playtime, bath, and bedtime, and then back up to be with the girls for their late night feedings. Add in lots of pumping time to store milk for these sweet babies and build up my milk supply while they are learning to nurse, and pretty much all the hours of the day are busy busy! But as difficult as this time is, the girls are just doing SO well. At this point, they are pretty much just working on feeding and growing, which is going well. Both have surpassed their birth weights...Emily is now 4 lbs, 9 oz, and Caroline is 4 lbs. 7.5 oz. We could not be more thankful and proud of their progress, and I know this will all quickly become a distant memory when they get to come home. OK ok, enough babbling from me. Here are some pictures from the last week.
First time back together since birth!! {Emily on left, Caroline on right}
Riding from the NICU to the Special Care Nursery in the same crib.
Here are a few pictures of Caroline:
And here are some of Emily:
Love these sweet baby girls!!!




3 comments:
Emily is totally smiling in the last picture - love it!!!! Such beautiful, precious baby girls. Am so glad to hear that everything is going so well!!!
Love these sweet baby girls sooo much!
oh these pics are making me cry!! i love these gorgeous girls!! and will! I know how you feel and it just makes you so stressed out because you want to be everywhere SO BAD. I wish that I could tell you not to stress but I know that won't really change anything. I wanted to be with avery and cherish that time so much but also wanted to be with the twins and felt guilty both ways. luckily, like you said, it is a distant memory now and it just went by so fast! I am so glad they are in a new place!! and SO BIG!!! they are so big!! ahhh! i am just so excited for y'all!!!
Post a Comment