Tuesday, December 14, 2010

ten months!

Happy 10 months, William! Will actually turned 10 months old on December 11th, but I'm a bit behind on this post because we have been so busy! Plus, Will has had an eye infection (ugh), so I wanted to wait to take his monthly bear picture until he didn't have a swollen red eye. He sort of still does in these, but it's much better! :) Here he is:


holding his favorite book
chatting it up with Mr. Bear

I know I said this last month, and maybe the month before that, but I wish I could freeze Will at this age! He's so much fun, and so happy! Now, if I did freeze him at this age, I would probably develop superwoman arms, because he's not walking, but getting pretty heavy to carry around. {20+ lbs when we went to the doctor for the eye thing. They told me the exact number, but I wasn't that concerned with his weight at the moment, so I don't remember.} Here are a few things I want to remember about Will at 10 months:
  • He is into everything. And he's fast! He is still most attracted to items like power cables, cell phones, and remotes {only the real ones that light up}. So far so good with the Christmas tree, because we don't really hang out in the front room with Will. However - whenever I take him in, he reaches out with both arms in excitement. He loves the lights, colors, and ornaments.
  • I have a feeling that walking isn't too far off, because he has become an expert "cruiser," and can get pretty much anywhere he wants to go by crawling or walking along the furniture. It's very cute, but also a little {a lot} dangerous. Will is fearless and seems to like to live on the edge...
  • Probably my favorite new development of the week - Will has learned to roll his tongue! You know, as if he was fluent in Spanish, except at a very high pitch. He has always loved blowing air through his lips, and this sounds kind of similar, so the first time he did it, I assumed that's what I was hearing. But nope - definitely rolling his tongue on the roof of his mouth - no lip movement at all! I need to get a video of this. It's hilarious, and pretty impressive that he now has mastered something that some adults cannot do. ;)
  • Unfortunately, sleeping hasn't been all that great lately. Not sure what's up - he seems to wake up at least once a night, usually either around midnight or around 5am, and a lot of the time he just can't settle back down on his own. This could be because I'm a sucker and will go in there eventually, but I sort of got out of "sleep training" mode after he started sleeping through the night, and now I'm a softie. Hopefully this is just a phase and will pass quickly!
  • Will loves to talk. He says all kinds of things, although no real words yet. However - when he wants something, he will look at it and say "nah nah nah" over and over. I feel like that's a step in the communication direction!
  • This month, Will has totally gotten the hang of self-feeding, and he's eating lots more table food than pureed food. He still has oatmeal in the mornings and usually one pureed vegetable with dinner, but he really seems to prefer to feed himself these days. His favorites are pasta, cheese, tortillas, peas, sweet potatoes, carrots....you know what? He really likes most things. I do love that he can now show his preferences. If I put cheese and anything else on the tray together, he will always eat the cheese first. No contest.
  • He is loving his books now, and I love it. He has a few favorites that he will sit through over and over. Still can't sit for the bigger-kid books with lots of words, but he loves the ones with just a picture and word on each page.
I can't believe how much my baby has grown up in just 10 short months. Can't wait to see what happens next. I love you, Will!!

No comments: