Tuesday, January 18, 2011

crochet day

Soooo.....we all know that I can't leave well enough alone. Today I added to the hat craze by learning to crochet. I really just wanted to make bear ears for a brown hat I made yesterday. And I knew that those are really cute when crocheted. {is that how you spell that? totally not how you say it...} So anyway, went online to figure it out, and I learned 3 crochet stitches. Fun! So I made a hat. And I learned a few things:
  1. I like to crochet.
  2. There are so many things to learn! I ended up making a hat using just one kind of stitch, but there are lots!
  3. Starting is sort of hard, because there's nothing to hold onto. I had lots of false starts that ended up with knotted balls of yarn.
  4. When they suggest the size of crochet hook and thickness of yarn, it's not so much a suggestion, unless you want your hat to fit your baby like this:

Haha - oops! So my pattern called for normal skinny yarn {probably there is a technical term for that}, but since I'm new, I thought it would be easier to see what I was doing if I used fat yarn. And I do love fat yarn hats. No biggie, except that it made my "baby" sized hat into a big girl hat! It did seem big while I was chugging along with the crocheting, but hey, I'm new. So I kept going. And now I have a new hat!


There are some wonky spots, but not bad for a first attempt.
Crocheting....I'm in!

And don't worry - I did eventually get around to those bear ears. Definitely took less time than the hat I decided to start with! ;)


New hat = photo shoot time!

Will's favorite new expression. I love it.

And here are a few hats I've made recently:

Little hat, big flower...

or little flower!

Trying to make something similar to one of Will's newborn pics:

This is what I was going for.
{look closely...I think it's actually crochet!! Might have to try again!}

And a Texas Rangers hat:

Go Rangers!
{too bad baseball season isn't exactly hat wearing season in Texas...}

Stripes


And a teeny one with a knotted top. Looks like a little bell to me.

Thanks for bearing with me on all the hat posts...I just get excited! Who knew this was going to turn into a baby blog AND a hat blog?! Just think of how clean my house could be if I didn't spend all of my free time making hats...

1 comment:

kristen said...

i LOVE the hat!! I LOVE that you crochet too! and all of the theme hats are really, like the coolest things!! please sell them! you are so good!!